Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The hits just keep coming.

After getting a lil' frustrated that a nurse kept intercepting my emails to Dr. M. at the Mayo Clinic I called this morning and she called me back at lunch.  Good news is all she wants to see right now are the CBC numbers with a monthly note from the local oncologist as to my full bloodwork results after my treatment on the 20th.

Bad news?  She's leaving the Mayo Clinic.  Apparently her husband's job isn't working out and with a toddler her only choices are stay there and fly home to Canada on weekends or move back, and I get that completely -- nobody wants to be a weekend parent.  She's going to start working on getting me set up to visit the Arizona stem cell transplant folks in October and is working on matching her patients up with colleagues in Rochester that she feels are a good fit.  For me she's going to suggest Dr. K., her mentor, someone she calls a genius and who is apparently very prolific with research on multiple myeloma.

I guess given the fact that we have little contact I shouldn't be saddened by this, but it just feels like a punch to the stomach right now.  Never met a doctor who inspired such confidence or that was as friendly, personable and was able to emphasize as much with my plight.  Hell I've never had a doctor repeatedly ask me to use their first name.

Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment