Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Slightly more 'hurry up and wait.'

Talked to the local oncologist's assistant here and have an appointment Thursday afternoon to get things rolling with the chemotherapy.  A little nervous about how that will go but fingers crossed -- I'm at a pretty high stress level and it would be nice if something would go my way with all of this right now.  Unfortunately my original hope, which is to be able to do my weekly chemotherapy treatments at their SkyRidge location but keep him as my local doctor, sounds like it's a no-go. 

Still going to push for it since a weekly trip to Rose is a good 1.5 hour round-trip commute at best, while SkyRidge is 20 minutes round-trip.  Seeing as how I'm having a doctor at the Mayo Clinic direct my care anyways I'm not sure what the benefits of just finding a doctor at their SkyRidge location is ... I guess Rocky Mountain Cancer Center isn't a group the way I thought it was, but we'll see.

Meeting a therapist to work through the emotional and mental issues related to all of this Friday, waiting to have a endoscopy scheduled with my GI guy to rule out some things they saw on the CAT scan that the oncologists want checked out. 

Through all of this I actually feel really good (most likely a function of a vastly cleaner diet for the past 4-5 months), which makes this all so hard to swallow.  I'm on the precipice of embarking on a very scary, very serious road and I don't feel the slightest bit sick.  Kind of broke down for a moment on the couch last night talking about this with Amy ... there we are, sitting and having dinner on the couch and watching some Food Network show similar to our usual routine for quite a while, except it's all different now because the sense of normalcy is just an illusion, is just us pretending for a moment that this isn't all happening.

Makes it hard to enjoy even a peaceful moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment